What factors depend on prognosis of cancer sinuses?
Manifestations of cancer of sinuses
The most frequent manifestations of cancer of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses are problems with the sinuses and nasal bleeding.
Other manifestations of this disease include:
- Blockage of the paranasal sinuses
- Headache or pain in the sinuses
- Nasal discharge
- Swelling or sores in the nose
- Swelling of the face or palate with cancer of paranasal sinuses
- Numbness or tingling paresthesia of the face - this is due to irritation of the facial nerve tumor
- Protrusion of the eyeball - exophthalmos or blurred vision: diplopia, strabismus, and others. This sign is associated with invasion of the tumor in the region of the orbit
- Toothache and tooth loss, which is also associated with invasion of the tumor from the paranasal sinuses or nasal cavity
Diagnosis of cancer of paranasal sinuses
Usually, diagnosis of this disease begins with the collection of medical complaints of the patient and the nature of the disease. In addition, it clarifies the possible risk factors (occupation). Then, after that the doctor inspects a patient. It lies in the fact that a doctor feels the region of paranasal sinuses, and lymph nodes. Their increase may indicate regional metastases.
The next stage of the diagnosis of the tumor is inspection of the nasal cavity - rhinoscopy. To do this in each nostril, the doctor inserts a metal or plastic rhinoscope, which allows you to expand the nasal cavity for easy inspection. For a more detailed examination of the tumor used endoscopic equipment. In the nose, a thin, flexible tube is introduced at the end of which there is a light bulb and lens cameras. Image from this tube (endoscope) arrives on the screen.
In addition, this method allows a biopsy - excision of a small piece of tissue for subsequent examination under a microscope.
In addition, the following diagnostic techniques: X-ray of the nose and paranasal sinuses, computed tomography and magnetic resonance imaging.
Prognosis of the disease depends on factors such as the location of the tumor, its size, type of tumor. age and general condition of the patient, as well as from when a tumor was found (her stage) - at the very beginning of the disease or at relapse. Often, swelling of the nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses diagnosed in later stages, when the tumor has already spread to neighboring departments, which makes surgical treatment and worsens the prognosis.
With this material are reading:
My Great Web page